Louis Heibert's Home Page
What is this?
Even though this site has been around for 7 years, what it is depends on your perspecive. Here are some possibilities:
- Yet another vanity site that most people would have just put on Facebook
- A quaint throwback to the static web sites of the 90's
- An opinionated web forum that doesn't allow comments
- An attempt at an extended pseudo-resume (plus a regular resume as well)
Now here are the ideas I actually had in mind when creating the site:
- A bunch of annotated bookmarks where I could point friends, relatives, and colleagues when asked "what should I use for...?"
- A way to recognize providers of useful (or at least notable) products and services.
- A place to share technology experience that might be useful to others - like Stack Exchange answers without the initial questions
The biggest change, aside from updating horribly outdated content, is my switch from hand-coded HTML to Joomla. While hand-coding let me make the site exactly the way I wanted, it was also a lot of work to update - hence, the horribly outdated content. Of course, with enough initiative, I could develop custom Joomla templates and modules to make my new site look exactly the same. For now though, I'm just using their default template and menu system. I'm hoping the result is at least visually acceptable while encouraging more frequent updates.
Two things I should definitely mention are my resume and my not-very-busy business site:
- My resume is available as a PDF file here. I've done a good bit of technology work in the last 30 years, maybe I can help you too?
- Although started with for-profit intentions, Unweb Software should probably have started as a free software project - well now it is ☺.